If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then our faces must be the frame. Beautiful, clear, blemish free skin acts like an invitation to look further and see what other beauty lies within. Unfortunately, for those of us with less than perfect skin, it can feel like we’ve hung up a *Closed* sign in the window, telling people not to bother looking as there is nothing else to see.
For those that have suffered the trials and traumas of pimples and acne, flawless skin might seem like an unattainable dream, or something you only see in air-brushed magazine and television ads. It is possible to have the skin of your dreams if you are willing to put in a little time and effort.
There are many causes of acne and problem skin, from hormonal elements to dietary and lifestyle aspects. While there is no single approach that will work for everyone, there are some commonsense measures that you can take.
1. Avoid Junk – while diet is only one contributing factor when it comes to pimples and acne, it’s hard to imagine any skin thriving if the food it gets is full of saturated fats, chemicals, additives and other nasties. Fresh fruit and vegetables contain a host of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants that will give your skin the nutritional support it needs to stay healthy.
2. Drink Plenty Of Water – this is the model’s secret to beautiful, glowing skin. Water helps to flush out impurities through the kidneys which can find their way to our skin if they are not removed. Water is also the best form of hydration that your skin can have. Even the oiliest, most acne-prone skin still needs hydration. It may not be lacking oil, but it may certainly be lacking water.
3. Avoid Harsh Skincare Products – some of the products on the market for acne and pimples actually do more harm than good by drying the skin out. If the skin is dried out too much by these products it can end up red and flaky. The lower levels of the skin will also get the message that it needs more oil and will go into overdrive producing more oil and making the problems worse.
4. Gently Does It – don’t go overboard with scrubs and vigorous washing when you have oily or acne prone skin. For the same reasons as mentioned above, they can cause the skin to go into panic mode and start producing more oil. Treat the skin on your face as gently as you would a babies delicate skin.
5. Hands Off – you must not pick, scratch, squeeze or otherwise attack your pimples. It may seem like a great idea to go ahead and squeeze that nasty zit but you risk spreading infection to other areas of your face as well as causing scarring which is very hard to get rid of. Keep your hands to yourself and let your skincare products do their work.